[Noisebridge-discuss] Concern with the "greeting" procedure.

Daniel Pitts coloraura.com at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 16:47:59 UTC 2013

On 3/22/13 2:54 AM, Robert "Finny" Merrill wrote:
> Saying anything more than "hi" or a grunt is generally enough to make
> me lose focus. If I'm going to talk at all I might as well go all the
> way with it. But a simple smile and nod is probably enough.

I have to say that at times I've been similarly afflicted.  I've learned
to cope by absentmindedly conversing with them in a way that doesn't
effect my concentration.  Often times, I'll look up only to realize that
they other party has left because of my lack of concentration.

I've found that saying "Sorry, deep in thought" can sometimes be a
useful social tool for such a circumstance.

If you find that much to be too distracting, perhaps you could consider
having a wearable sign that says as much.  A literal Thinking Cap as it
were.