[Noisebridge-discuss] Lab: Frontend Web Development, Thursday 8pm

Jeffrey Carl Faden jeffreyatw at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 05:33:57 UTC 2013

Thanks to everyone who came to Monday's class. The virtual machine with PHP
and Rails went HALF well... I just forgot to set up a path and install a
JavaScript runtime (which is a requirement of running a Ruby application
set for some weird reason).

The updated virtual machine, definitely capable of running Rails this time,
is here (again, a 1.82GB download):
http://jeffreyatw.com/static/frontend/series3/class20/Ubuntu.ova
You should know that eventually you might be asked to install system
updates. I did, and started to get some weird screen flashing going on and
had to roll back. You might want to decline the updates if offered.

For Thursday's lab, I can help you get PHP and Rails set up on your own
machine, or you can redownload the virtual machine and get a bit further
with creating an app and learning your way around it. Or, as usual, feel
free to come with any other projects you're working on and I can help you
out.

It's in Turing on Thursday at 8pm. Hope to see you there!
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Frontend_Web_Development#Lab

Jeffrey