[Noisebridge-discuss] [SPAM] Request for input

Mitchel McAllister xonimmortal at yahoo.com
Fri May 17 00:04:57 UTC 2013

I'm working on a project set in the future a few years, and wanted input on whether the following excerpt sounded appropriate.

     “I see,” she said, subdued. “Even if the political
situation were removed from the equation, I would still be unable to contact
MakerHub. It is outside my communication area.”

     The orbital station was virtually outlaw territory, since
being founded and built by a coalition of hackerspaces across the world. To
date, few of the remaining planet-bound governments recognized their
independence, and United Sol Federation was still trying to force the habitat
to allow teams of “inspectors”. Officially, the habitat was considered in
violation of international treaties, since the coalition did not seek official
permissions and vetting before beginning construction.

     Kelly and his sister, with their friends at the San
Francisco hackerspace, Noisebridge, had been on the team to design the first
payload launched. Noisebridge had been the winner of an extended, heated
bidding war via a BitCoin auction.

     The first phase of the habitat's skeleton had been half-finished
before anyone knew it existed. Construction had continued, even with several
nations mounting intelligence operations against the coalition. The members of
the coalition had delighted in leading agents of multiple governments on a
merry chase, with false launch sites, incorrect dates and times, and even
several freight manifests that had been pure fiction. On one particularly
hilarious occasion, the combined air forces of three nations had attempted to
blockade a launch, only to find their jets inexplicably going through a
complicated (and bladder-emptying) stunt flight routine.

Thanks in advance.

- Reverend Mik McAllister
"You can see the summit but you can't reach it
Its the last piece of the puzzle but you just can't make it fit
Doctor says you're cured but you still feel the pain
Aspirations in the clouds but your hopes go down the drain"
 - Howard Jones, "No One Is To Blame"
Purveyor of Subversive Fiction
http://www.prismandink.com
http://www.lunatextpublications.com