[Noisebridge-discuss] California Lawmaker Wants 3-D Printers To Be Regulated

Socrates Wilde wildesocrates at gmail.com
Sun May 12 03:54:32 UTC 2013

Of course, the little fascist does.

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Felipe Sanches <juca at members.fsf.org>wrote:

>  California Lawmaker Wants 3-D Printers To Be Regulated<http://yro.slashdot.org/story/13/05/11/2041212/california-lawmaker-wants-3-d-printers-to-be-regulated>
> Posted by Soulskill <soulskill at slashdot.org> on Saturday May 11, 2013
> @07:00PM
> from the i-demand-background-checks-for-sketchpads-and-protractors dept.
>
>  New submitter phrackthat writes with news that California State Senator
> Leland Yee (D-S.F.) says he wants regulations to track who owns and uses
> 3-D printers<http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/05/08/sen-leland-yee-proposes-regulations-on-3-d-printers-after-gun-test/>.
> Yee's comments come in response to the recent news of Defense Distributed's successful
> test-firing<http://yro.slashdot.org/story/13/05/06/064234/the-first-fully-3d-printed-gun-has-been-successfully-test-fired>of a 3-D printed gun.
> *"He's concerned that just about anyone with access to those cutting-edge
> printers can arm themselves. 'Terrorists can make these guns and do some
> horrible things to an individual and then walk away scott-free, and that is
> something that is really dangerous,' said Yee. He said while this new
> technology is impressive, it must be regulated when it comes to making
> guns. He says background checks, requiring serial numbers and even
> registering them could be part of new legislation that he says will protect
> the public. Yee added, 'This particular gun has no trace whatsoever.'"*

         *“I remember the first albatross I ever saw. . . . At intervals,
it arched forth its vast archangel wings, as if to embrace some holy ark.
Wondrous flutterings and throbbings shook it. Though bodily unharmed, it
uttered cries, as some king's ghost in super natural distress. Through its
inexpressible, strange eyes, methought I peeped to secrets not below the
heavens. As Abraham before the angels, I bowed myself. . . .” *

*—Herman Melville*