[Noisebridge-discuss] California Lawmaker Wants 3-D Printers To Be Regulated

maestro maestro415 at gmail.com
Mon May 13 00:03:04 UTC 2013

+1...

and it's hilarious how so many auto-revert to race, sexual orientation, sex
(m/f) et.al yet you don't see them out telling those in any particular
socio-locale not to talk the way *they* do and/or the censor-whores pull
the "oh, you can't say that; but they can because they *are*...

so glad most don't cater to *that* attempt to censor/control beings...

message ends

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 12:41 PM, LinkReincarnate <linkreincarnate at gmail.com
> wrote:

> That is a straw man.  None of what he said was homophobic or racist.  Even
> if it was I would defend his right to say it.  In america the only limit we
> have on free speech is when you use it to directly cause bodily harm to
> others (yelling fire in a crowded theater)  Everything else must be
> protected (including speech you find abhorrent like racism, homophobia, or
> sexism) lest other speech be eroded away.  The proper response is not to
> try to censor people who don't agree with you, it is to use your own free
> speech to counter theirs.  Free speech is it's own check and balance.  That
> only works if everyone has it regardless of their opinions or the
> popularity of their opinions. Any  outside interference with that throws
> the balance off and allows one side of an idea to prevail in said
> imbalance.  In the case of women's rights, racism, and homophobia outlawing
> that type of speech may seem like a good idea but you'd be throwing the
> baby out with the bathwater in doing so. You would be getting an
> incremental step in rights at the cost of the future of growth of those
> same rights. The meaning of any particular piece of speech (even entirely
> in context) is a highly subjective matter.  I believe that our law system
> tries to be as objective as possible (or at least it was originally
> designed with that intent)  Where do you draw the line for what constitutes
> this type of speech? Who defines it? What will be the penalty? What do you
> do to repeat offenders? Who pays for this program? What about weird edge
> cases?  Finally how will it be abused/gamed/corrupted? That's not even
> getting into the problems that plague the justice system right now. Or the
> problems the plague human interaction and understanding in general. We live
> in the real world.  The truth is that violence is sometimes necessary.  We
> hope to avoid it as much as possible but pretending that we can all bury
> our heads in the sand RE:violence is just naivety.  Outlawing violent
> speech is not going to stop violence.  It could mean one has less warning
> though.
> On May 12, 2013 12:05 PM, "Johny Radio" <johnyradio at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  On *Sun May 12 18:41:12 UTC 2013*, *LinkReincarnate* linkreincarnate at gmail.com <noisebridge-discuss%40lists.noisebridge.net?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BNoisebridge-discuss%5D%20California%20Lawmaker%20Wants%203-D%20Printers%20To%0A%20Be%20Regulated&In-Reply-To=%3CCACHQ1TFf1XSATcj%2BZ9Zjqqnu1x_AgNLUyOPx8rB5wTCrVOVPiA%40mail.gmail.com%3E> <noisebridge-discuss%40lists.noisebridge.net?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BNoisebridge-discuss%5D%20California%20Lawmaker%20Wants%203-D%20Printers%20To%0A%20Be%20Regulated&In-Reply-To=%3CCACHQ1TFf1XSATcj%2BZ9Zjqqnu1x_AgNLUyOPx8rB5wTCrVOVPiA%40mail.gmail.com%3E> wrote:
>>
>> If you believe in free speech at all you have to protect even speech that
>> offends you. That includes violent speech.

> [...]

*~the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...*