[Noisebridge-discuss] Free Speech

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Mon May 13 21:36:02 UTC 2013

On 5/12/2013 10:47 PM, LinkReincarnate wrote:
> L:You point to previous examples of unjustified censorship as your
> justification for censorship?!?!

J: No, i did not justify censorship at any time. i did not point to any
examples of censorship to justify censorship. You're misreading me.

> L: I personally don't think we should be throwing people in jail for
> calling someone a racketeer and a fascist. I don't think that people
> should be able to throw someone in jail because they don't like their
> ideas.

J: i strongly agree with you. i never said otherwise.

> L: You seem to be arguing that law dictates morality? That that case
> was justified?

J: i did not say it is or isn't. i was only fleshing out your incomplete
description of the kinds of speech that are illegal in the USA. I did
not say i thought those laws are fair or not.

> L: Once again the limitations to free speech that everyone keeps
> bringing up do not apply to what maestro said.

J: i did not say they apply or not. But judging from the "three elements
that make a threat illegal", i would say that law definitely does *NOT
*apply to maestro's comments.

> L: What you are saying though is that noisebridge should have a more
> stringent censorship policy than america in general.

J: i never said any such thing. i simply described what i think would
happen to a blatant racist at NB, with our existing process. Community
Standards, created and enforced By The Community, is Not censorship.
This is supported by the post from Rachel McConnell <rachel at xtreme.com>.

> --J: I'm not sure if history agrees with you.
> L: Are we reading the same history?

J: i did not say "history does not agree with you." i said "i'm not sure
if history agrees with you." I know of more than one scenario where
speech has been used, historically, to cause genocide against innocent
people. I'd have to study them in more detail, to see if/how speech laws
were involved.

Love ya, Link!

+Johny Radio