[Noisebridge-discuss] beer

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Fri May 17 23:03:06 UTC 2013

IANAL but I think asking for donations for beer is an awful lot like
selling beer so I ask that people please do not do that at Noisebridge!

When I was involved in getting a keg before, I put out a sign saying
"free (as in beer)" and did not have a donation cup nearby and made sure
there were people around preventing minors from partaking.

Assuming people agree to avoid donation shenanigans, I'll contribute
$100 toward a keg for tomorrow.

As an aside, I ask that you please not charge admission to Noisebridge!
I think even saying "suggested donation" can discourage some people from
coming, as it creates a context where there is some small social shame
in not "donating". In my mind, at least, there is a massive gulf between
"suggested donation" and "donations accepted". I think the fact that
Noisebridge has always been free is a big part of why lots of people
support it. As it happens, thanks to the fundraiser and the push for
recurring donations, we are no longer running out of money. So, lets say
that this event (like every other event at NB) is free. But of course,
donations are accepted :)

~leif