[Noisebridge-discuss] WiFi router for the cool kids?

Ian Sidle ian at iansidle.com
Tue May 28 03:00:11 UTC 2013

I'm jumping into the conversation late, but I would highly recommend
mikrotik if you are looking for a router. You can configure it using
CLI, SSH, web browser or an awesome wine-capable GUI.

It does have a bit of a learning curve (if you are comfortable with a
Cisco router or making your own iptables by hand, you will feel right at
home) but you can do a lot of very powerful things with it (vlan's,
packet shaping, OSPF, VPN, Qos, Multiple SSID's, Separate Subnets, etc).
 [http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:RouterOS_features].

They recently added a simplified web interface to make it more friendly,
so it's fairly easy to get up and going if your needs are fairly basic
but it has the power for laying underneath if you need it.

The basic model is ~$40
[http://www.balticnetworks.com/mikrotik-rb-rb-951-2n-indoor-ap-complete-with-enclosure-and-power-supply.html?gclid=COSWmPrkt7cCFRHhQgodzDUA-A]
, and the high power model (that can transmit at the US legal limit of
1Watt ERP) for around $60
(http://www.balticnetworks.com/mikrotik-rb-751u-indoor-ap-complete-with-enclosure-and-power-supply.html?gclid=CJjZ6pbmt7cCFUQ6QgodpD8ALQ)
with an external antenna.

The main problem is they are a bit hard to find (i.e. not on
amazon/newegg/frys) but there is a few places where you can order them
online (baltic network, roc-noc and streakwave which allows local pickup
in San Jose).

Still, I really like the product and I've setup a few small businesses
with them.

thanks,
Ian