[Noisebridge-discuss] IV drug use.

Taylor Alexander tlalexander at gmail.com
Fri May 31 02:27:49 UTC 2013

Definitely interesting idea, definitely feeling Maestro and Jonathan though
that, while interesting, this solution doesn't seem like the right one. But
I am partial to a solution that solves all these problems I keep seeing
coming up on the mailing list, rather than fixing each one.

Do you guys ever hit up Hacker Dojo? I know it has in the past had a bad
rap for being "too corporate" or too much of a coworking space as opposed
to a hackerspace, but that is absolutely not true now (I have no idea if it
used to be true). The Dojo also has locks, and a key, with membership
privileges that work well for members and non-members, with ID tags and a
front desk that encourages voluntary sign in for guests so you can trace
incidents etc. The place has never felt any less open to me than
noisebridge. Sure, Mountain View doesn't have the problems that Mission st
gives NB, but I think some of the systems in place at HD would genuinely
seriously benefit NB.

If funding is an issue, perhaps these systems that prevent the kinds of
things like heroine use from being a problem can themselves increase
membership.

If you want to see how HD can be a real hackerspace, come to the place
Saturdays at 1:30 in the back right corner of the building and ask for a
tall man named Dave who's teaching a bunch of people how to build robots.
He's cool, and actually your help would go a long way.

If you want to see HD's lighter side, bring a 6 (or 12?) pack of beer (or
mixers, wine, whatever) on friday evenings and hit the hacker happy hour
some time around 8 or 9 (till 2am). You can drink *and* meet people who are
all working on cool shit.

I say these things because, being a south bay guy, I, for a long time, felt
like I had no hackerspace of my own, because of all the rumors I'd heard of
HD not being as cool as NB. Well, I dunno, it's pretty cool, and we have
nice well lit bathrooms and shirts and a front desk. Come by and check it
out on a day when something is happening, and you may see that rules don't
have to kill culture. With "all those rules", the place still feels free
and awesome to me. Maybe NB should try some of that?