[Noisebridge-discuss] anti-anonymity proposals

Adrian Chadd adrian.chadd at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 20:13:12 UTC 2013

On 15 November 2013 11:43, Leif Ryge <leif at synthesize.us> wrote:

> If the members of Noisebridge insist on making policies I implore them to make
> policies which are more MAY and SHOULD than MUST and SHALL.

I've implemented internet protocols like this. It turns out people can
and do ignore MAY/SHOULD when it suits them / when they're lazy.

That only works when everyone involved are actively working to better
the community as a whole. It doesn't work if everyone is acting in
(mostly non-enlightened) self-interest. Principles, whilst admirable,
need to be backed up with constant work. I see lots of principles..
then I saw a dirty kitchen, people being abusive at meetings and
people feeling unsafe in the space.

It turns out ideals and principles aren't enough.

-adrian