[Noisebridge-discuss] anti-anonymity proposals

jim jim at systemateka.com
Sun Nov 17 09:51:55 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-11-16 at 18:11 -0800, Liz Henry wrote:
> I have lost the thread of how we got onto this from the original
> topic....
JS: good point.

> Jim, your continued apologist defenses also piss me off because you
> seem to be saying that women in particular, if sexually assaulted,
> should not participate in public discourse about it.
NOT TRUE; I NEVER SAID SUCH A THING!
> You trivialize
> sexual assault as "copping a feel"...
NOT TRUE: I tried to define a trivial example,
quite badly, I admit and have admitted previously
in this thread.

> speech and collective action are valid
> options for women to take in response to sexual harassment and
> assault.
RIGHT, I AGREE, AND HAVE SAID SO PREVIOUSLY
IN THIS THREAD!

> you
> think *you* can discuss things and call people out and that's totally
> ok but...
RIGHT, AND SO CAN OTHERS--FREELY, THE MORE
THE BETTER.

> you get to dictate how women
> should respond to assault, and that they should respond to it with
> escalating violence.
NOT TRUE! DAMMIT. QUOTE ME CORRECTLY, DO NOT
MAKE UP STUFF. I EXPRESSED AN OPINION AND TO
SOME EXTENT HAVE RESCINDED SOME OF IT! I NEVER
CLAIMED THAT I CAN DICTATE TO OTHERS! MY POINT
IS THAT IT'S GOOD FOR PEOPLE TO STICK UP FOR
THEMSELVES.
I DID NOT RECOMMEND ESCALATING VIOLENCE! I SAID
I'D EAGERLY DEFEND SOMEONE WHO DID SO, AND
BRAVO TO THEM FOR THEIR COURAGE!

> It's also just weirdly like you just missed the
> entire last 100 years of anti-rape activism. You can't possibly have
> missed it. It's fucking San Francisco. What the hell, man.
OF COURSE I DIDN'T. I WROTE NOTHING ABOUT RAPE,
WHICH IS HEINOUS.