[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: Re: anti-anonymity proposals

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 20:56:39 UTC 2013

Here is an example of jim being dismissive on this thread. He sent it to me
privately and I was ignoring it. Full email incl below.

> It seems to me that you have no idea what I've said. This is my last
reply to you.

I have done my best to read his emails and articulate why my ideas are so
different than his, why his very words were so wildly inappropriate. Given
that Jim has previously hired me for work, invited me to his house, and
subsequently been a reluctant part of a public discussion with me about Bad
Touch And Respecting Boundaries, I was perhaps expecting my viewpoint to be
relevant.

The problem i see is that jim believes he is being misunderstood, when in
fact he is often being understood very well. I think he is conflating his
intention with his language and with his impact. They are three very
separate things. I repeatedly see him writing that he is being
misunderstood, and repeatedly read in his writing that he believes others
are overreacting and ignoring what he is writing.

I think that many people have a cognitive block around accepting that the
impact of their words or actions was very different than intended, or that
their stated intention is often directly contravened by their words and
actions.

Without the willingness to admit one's own need to change, there is no real
way to engage with people who have a problem with your behavior.

R.