[Noisebridge-discuss] Asking sleepers at Noisebridge to leave.

Al Sweigart asweigart at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 16:37:04 UTC 2013

I came by the space around 7am this morning and found three people
sleeping. One guy was in his chair and woke up from the noise of the door
opening and resumed working at his (opened) laptop.

Of the other two, one was under blankets curled up in a library chair and
the other was stretched out over several chairs in Turing classroom with
the lights off and door closed.

I woke up the other two, told them my name, asked if they were members
(they both said they were associate members), and told them that sleeping
at Noisebridge was not okay and that we have this policy because people
have abused it before. I didn't ask them to leave.

I'll do some more sleeper checks, and anyone I find crashing at Noisebridge
I'm going to ask to leave. When I've done this before, I told them they can
go home, or get breakfast for an hour and come back, but they do have to
leave. As in, it's not optional.

In the past, whenever I don't tell them to leave and simply wake them up,
when they think I've left they are back asleep a half hour later. Every.
Single. Time. Telling them to leave is completely necessary.

Noisebridge has had a no-sleeping policy for years.
https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Sleeping If you see people crashing at
Noisebridge, wake them up and explain this policy. It sounds simple, but it
is incredibly hard to do (one kid refused to move off the couch telling me,
"Well I don't agree with that policy", another guy called me an asshole)
and it's easy to just ignore it, but that's why it keeps becoming a problem.

If I find the two guys crashing at Noisebridge again, I'm going to propose
banning them from the space at the next weekly meeting. In the past, I've
asked more than one person as many as four occasions to leave. Booting them
out in the morning does not keep them from sleeping overnight at
Noisebridge. Banning is completely necessary.

-Al