[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge is now Members and their Guests only, 24/7 please read and learn about it

Jake jake at spaz.org
Sun Nov 3 04:44:36 UTC 2013

Hi Leif,

I recognize that there are problems with the current implementation of my
ideas.  Keep in mind that both the latest and the previous consensed items
happened when I was not present at the meeting, and were changed in
significant ways from what I originally wrote.

I am about to propose changes to the wording of the latest proposal, to be
more like what I wrote originally.  This means we will remove the language
you attributed to me, below, that says "No other person shall be permitted
at Noisebridge at any other time."  You should accept that I did not write
that.

I wrote "at any time, a person who is without a live sponsor in the space
can be told that if they cannot find a new live sponsor promptly they
should pack up and come back another time, perhaps Tuesday night."

if you read what you wrote below, you will see that you repeatedly say
that I "wrote" the policies that you're objecting to, when in fact they
were made while I was not at a meeting.  I am the last person you should
be blaming for the changes that were made away from what I had suggested.

You should recognize that the problems you point out as having resulted
from the first policy came from the amendment limiting it to certain
hours, which I promptly helped eliminate to make a less offensive
arrangement.  I know you are capable of understanding the intent here
(look at what I proposed, not what was consensed) but:

the fact that you continue to ignore everyone who is screaming that
noisebridge sucks and needs help disqualifies you from knowing what's best
for the place.  You are basically telling your friends (not just me) that
their complaints about the space don't even register on your radar.

Your question of what will happen when an annoying person acquires a
sponsor is very valid.  The answer is that now that annoying person is
connected to the community through a member or A.M.  That sponsor is
someone who has a direct connection to the noisebridge community and can
be expected to work through any problems their guest is causing and act as
a bridge toward their guest.

Their sponsor can be asked by the community (at a meeting or through
general discussion) to remedy problems with their guest or cease
sponsoring them.  The guest has a connection to the community (through
their sponsor), whereas an atomized guest under our previous policy has no
reason to cooperate with our problem solving strategy.

Your proposal is telling:  you propose to take noisebridge back to the
good old days when people could just come in off the street and do
whatever they want any time.  And whoever was loudest, tallest, and had
the least to lose, would get their way when someone smaller or more
conflict-averse tried to ask them to stop.  That's your idea of problem
solving?

Like building bunk beds to stop people using the space as a residence?
[this actually happened]

I guess that anyone who says "it used to be that way and it sucked, and it
needed to change" just needs to shut up and do what you say, from
thousands of miles away.

-jake