[Noisebridge-discuss] bypassing captive portals

Dana dana-lists at sonic.net
Sat Nov 9 17:53:58 UTC 2013

Hey Noisebridge,

I have mobile sensor device that will occasionally need to send/receive
a small amount of data. The application is non-commercial/research, not
hugely time-sensitive, hardware has wifi support & runs embedded linux
--- I am considering making use of opportunistic wifi connections.

Free, open wifi is abundant but many hotspots (e.g. public library,
union square, starbucks) have a 'check box and agree to ToS' captive
portal. Before I try to write something, does anyone know of a
pre-existing script or project that can detect, handle or auto-submit
these captive portals? I suppose DNS tunneling could be an another
option...

Thanks!

~ Dana