[Noisebridge-discuss] Free Broken Hard Disks

Alex Buie alex.buie at frozenfeline.net
Wed Nov 13 22:13:10 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

$work (Internet Archive / archive.org) has a semi-large quantity of
broken/failed hard disks in various states of (non)function. (Some of them
still spin up, just have uncorrectable sectors, but most are completely
totaled [head crash, broken motor, et al])

Before we pay to have them e-cycled, I thought I'd post a message here to
see if anyone was interested in taking some quantity (1 or 5 or 10 or more)
of them to play with. They all still have the magnets in them, so they're a
good source of high-strength fridge/workbench magnets, or the platters make
neat source material for things. (It's also a cool project for anyone who
wants to see what the inside of a HD looks like firsthand)

They range in capacity from 2-4TB, but most are 3TB.

We're in the Richmond district, at the corner of Funston and Clement. (one
block northeast of Geary and Park Presidio)

If you have any questions or are interested, please don't hesitate to email
me. They're first-come, first-serve.

Alex