[Noisebridge-discuss] Associate Members Sponsorship

Tom Lowenthal me at tomlowenthal.com
Sat Nov 16 22:42:05 UTC 2013

[Was “Looking for Associate Members sponsors”. Forking thread.]

Jeffrey Carl Faden <jeffreyatw at gmail.com> wrote on 2013-11-16:
> I see Alex Glowaski also signed off, which just makes me want to clarify -
> can associate members sponsor others? Or just members?

tl;dr: Associate members can sponsor other associate members, but only
after the sponsor has been an associate member during a Tuesday
meeting.

We agreed to operate this way during the [2013-11-05 meeting][0],
though I'm not certain how well-represented it is in the meeting
notes. This was primarily to allay Monad's concerns that there would
not be sufficient limits on how fast we could see new associate
members. Monad was concerned about hypothetical cabal of associate
members who collaborated to add many more associate members. Those
present disagreed about this hypothetical risk, but compromised on
this sponsorship procedure.

Related to this, we've begun congratulating all the new associate
members on Tuesdays, during the membership section of the meeting.
Last meeting, there was just Jarrod (nice work Jarrod!), but hopefully
we'll have a bunch more new associates to congratulate this coming
week!

I'd also like to note that Merlin is a member, as she's noted on [her
wiki user page][1]. Jeffrey, I assume you thought she was an associate
member?

I've updated the [membership page][2] on the wiki, and I think it's
currently accurate. If you see any mistakes, things that need
changing, or typos and whatnot, please make make notes on the talk
page. You should also comment on the talk page if it's unclear, or if
things I've said here confuse rather than clarify. Please don't edit
the page itself though: we should review new sets of changes at a
meeting.

Thanks,
-Tom
--