[Noisebridge-discuss] seeking associate membership

Mike Schachter cubicgoats at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 03:28:59 UTC 2013

Hi Noisebridge,

I am officially interested in becoming an associate member. My wiki page is
here:

https://noisebridge.net/wiki/User:Mschachter

My statement on the page is as follows:

Hi, my name is Mike, and I'm interested in helping people learn about
Machine Learning and more generally, Mathematics. My background is
Computational Neuroscience, Machine Learning, and Software Development.

I started coming to Noisebridge in 2010 and helped revive the
Machine_Learning <https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Machine_Learning> group.

>From 2010-2012 I helped keep the group organized, giving talks and
encouraging people to come in and speak about their work.

As of November 2013 we are restarting the ML group. Although I feel
comfortable teaching advanced topics, my main focus will be to provide a
solid basis in the relevant math and programming required to do data
analysis, for people new to ML from a variety of educational backgrounds.

I strongly support Noisebridge's anti-harassment
policy<https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Anti-Harassment_Policy>.
Having worked in Science and Technology for over a decade, I'm aware of
gender and race disparities that plague the fields. I hope that there are
things I can do to help foster a fun, inclusive educational environment,
and am interested and open to ideas and suggestions on how to do that.
Thank you!

  mike