[Noisebridge-discuss] anti-anonymity proposals

jim jim at systemateka.com
Sat Nov 16 04:36:30 UTC 2013

JS: I'll try not to belabor my defense of my
beliefs. My comments interspersed below.

On Fri, 2013-11-15 at 15:27 -0800, rachel lyra hospodar wrote:
> Jesus fucking Christ.
>
> Noisebridge is dead.
>
> Jim, you ... I don't even. There are so many problems with what you
> have written that I honestly believe you need to hire someone to help
> you grok what the fuck. Because the amount of education you need about
> what the experiences of others are like, about what a 'community'
> might BE or BE FOR or WHO might want to use it FOR WHAT or HOW....
> and the idea that you could tell someone else not to talk to the
> community so THEY don't feel disempowered is deeply structurally
> flawed.... that I just don't even.
JS: Yes, I know you don't. I suspect you and perhaps
others have misconstrued what I wrote. I'm for
personal strength first, and from that comes a
strong community. My view is that people have run
to the community prematurely, to their own detriment.

> I came to Noisebridge and found a huge community of technically
> engaged wonderful hacker friends who bent over backwards to teach me
> how to work in hardware, with zero social expectations or assholery.
JS: me, too.

> That place is gone.
JS: I'm not sure, there are lots of very fine
people still at noisebridge.

> Perhaps 2169 will continue but a community where the old hands present
> think assault should be dealt with in isolation,
JS: assault should not be dealt with in isolation.

> and the old hands absent feel entitled to weigh in against reform
> measures aimed at REDUCING INCIDENCES OF ASSAULT without constructive
> input, is no place I want to support.
JS: I'm against formality in general; I'm for
collaboration, affection, acceptance, mutual
support; I think having policies is a dangerous
practice, partly because the fact of the policy
substitutes for understanding and action
appropriate to situations, partly because the
policy may, unfortunately, be seen as a
substitute for one's own action and one's own
sense of self-worth.