[Noisebridge-discuss] anti-anonymity proposals

jim jim at systemateka.com
Sun Nov 17 18:36:49 UTC 2013

I apologize to those who use the NB discuss list;
I am truly sorry to have started this combat that
has clogged the use of the list.

[You think I'm bad, hang me: I deserve it; but do
so for the right reasons.]

ORIGINAL TEXT

    As to females being harassed,      # 1. already stupid
for cases of crude coppings of feels,  # and reckless

I dislike taht female turning to the   # 2. opinion
community for support;                 # 3. mis-statement

I would eagerly defend any female      # 4. support
who hauled off and slugged whoever     # 5. no suggestion
copped a feel

or to go get some friends and return   # 6. seek out others
to verbally educate the offender:

it's dis-empowering to perceive one's  # 7. I mean this
self as a victim

and turn to a community for support    # 8. mis-statement,
for what is an individual incident.    # I meant asuthority

    There will be no way fully to      # 9. I think time will
suppress such actions taken            # bear this out

Intended message:
Do not tolerate harassment of any kind! Fight back!
Seek out support! Avoid feelings of fear!
Avoid The Tuesday Night Meeting!

1. Stupid, stupid, foolish, and reckless me. I dashed
this off in a pique, chose a lurid example, did not
qualify the example, and--knowing this would cause a
s-storm--I clicked the Send button. I'd had a quick
feel in a crowd in mind as an example. Stupid me. I
did not know the depth to which the topic resonated.
I am very sorry to have bombed the list. [A]

2. I am not dictating anything to anyone. I'm stating
my opinion.

3. Sorry for this choice of words: I meant "do not
turn to The Tuesday Night Meeting." [B]

4. Fight back! (But beware escalating violence, per
Hannah's warning re someone pulling a knife.) [C]

5. I do not recommend hitting or escalating
violence. Violence is stupid. But fighting back
is right! Do not tolerate harassment.

6. Seek out others. Do not isolate yourself.

7. Do not let fear or discouragement enter your
feelings! Those are toxic for your own sense of
self-worth.

8. Avoid authority. Using such structures is
dis-empowering and a haven for betrayal, despite
any good founding intentions. [D]

9. I'm guessing some time in 2014 there'll be
another instance.

[A] I am out of touch with the evening NB crowd,
and that's where most discussions occur.
    Insensitive? Probably, but I do not want
harassment issues in my life: they're awful and
disruptive. I don't want to put out fires, either.
    I'm for kindness and patience.

[B] The Tuesday Night Meeting was established
as a convening ground for people to bring issues
for discussion and to allow consensus to protect
individuals from the tyranny of the majority.
    I believe that NB has gradually changed the
perception of The Tuesday Night Meeting and its
denizens to a structure for bringing governing
authority to the general community, and I think
this is bad! We had one rule: be excellent to
each other. There's wisdom in that, including
the fact of only one rule.
    I think some are seeking to establish
authority in order to facilitate addressing
problems, and I think that's poisonous.

[C] I've presented my foolish scenario in
conversation to two different women, neither
of whom gave me any but positive feedback.
    Of course, they were not part of NB
history, and I had explained the limits of the
scenario. One did double-take to ask me what
I meant with respect to the hit back part.

[D] Those who've responded to me have done
right! Good for you, despite your inaccuracies!
You've attacked me like white corpuscles
surround a germ. I'd rather face a lynch mob
than a hanging judge. Fight back is right!

    I've avoided The Tuesday Night Meetings
not so much because they're tedious as because
they have been too late at night. These days
there seems a horrid authoritarian component.

    I deserve what I've gotten; I was stupid
and careless and inconsiderate.
    I believe I have read and thought about
your responses.
    I'm sick of all this as well as you. I
fear that I've lost the good will of a couple
of people for whom I care.
    I do not think I've tried to squirm out of
my positions (I have certainly changed my mind
in some respects, thanks to responses).
    If you think I need further scolding or
education, have at: I will read and think. Do
not misquote me or misconstrue my meanings.