[Noisebridge-discuss] Membership Status and Consensus

Jake jake at spaz.org
Mon Nov 25 20:43:09 UTC 2013

Dear Jake,

If you put even half the effort into helping noisebridge deal with actual,
real challenges that are threatening to entirely destroy it as a
hackerspace, that you put into writing abusive public emails to the fine
person willing to do the hard work of being secretary, your position would
be a lot more respectable.

As it is I feel that you are behaving as part of the problem as opposed to
part of the solution.  I wish you would take a step back and consider
this.

The fact that you are unable to come to the space and participate makes it
impossible for you to be aware of the reality of the situation, including
the fact that almost everyone you know who has ever been a part of
Noisebridge has left, and doesn't come around anymore.  I urge you to
acknowledge this reality and integrate it into your strategy to help.

Detached idealism is its own worst enemy, and it discredits itself.  Your
ideals are laudable, but your means are not credible, consisting of
nothing but criticism of the people doing the most hard work at the space.

For me to address the particulars of your latest complaints, I (and Tom I
think) believe that a consensus item "requiring" members to identify
themselves on the wiki with no consequences for failure to do so should
satisfy you.  A change which would have introduced consequences was
blocked partially on your behalf, and will not be implemented.  As for the
secrecy of membership, I believe it was always that a member's status
would be revealed to a direct inquiry to the secretary.

If you want to talk about the details of the information security policy
around membership status, a shorter email listing your perception of it,
desires for changes, and persuasive arguments will be a whole lot more
respectable than personal attacks, especially on our hardworking
secretary.  And if you think that job is easy, you should talk to the
people who have done the job and had to quit.

As for your inability to come to the space, please acknowledge the fact
that it limits your ability to know what is actually happening to it, and
who is actually using it vs. who has actually abandoned it to rot.

And again, please try to focus your valuable energy toward productive
improvements instead of unproductive and divisive attacks.

-jake