[Noisebridge-discuss] Membership Status and Consensus

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Tue Nov 26 02:11:46 UTC 2013

On Monday, November 25, 2013, Lee Sonko wrote:

> Why is having a membership binder physically in the space not a good
> solution? I thought the problem was that bad non-members were causing
> trouble and that making the space 24x7 members only might remedy that by
> raising the bar of entry from "I'm just some guy" to "I'm just some guy who
> got 4 members to vouch for me".

(I am really unsure of the set of problems and solutions myself at this
point, but that is not actually new to Noisebridge. For instance, in my
time as secretary we were strongly discouraged from having a membership
binder in the space, for fear that would pierce the anonymous veil. Instead
they were hoarded at an undisclosed location. So maybe that remains why
this is not a good solution to the undefined problem.

I guess the idea with using the wiki is that you can bind a PGP key to a
nym identity and therefore preserve anonymity while still proving you
really are a member. I bet, actually his is exactly the kind of solution
that Tom and The Two Jakes could settle upon, if we locked them in a room
with a Tor node and three bottles of whiskey instead of letting them bait
each other on discuss. But maybe that's not the problem being solved.*

In other news, Kelly organized a policy revamp a couple of years ago which
finally got our actual membership list somewhat consistent, which included
expiring out people. If you don't pay dues and haven't been pestered with
emails from her acting as treasurer or Tom as secretary in the last few
years, you're possibly not a member. I'd like to say that it was all
announced in a lavatory with a sign on it that said beware of the leopard,
but actually it was all painfully documented on nb discuss and the wiki and
the meeting notes for months.

D.

What do you mean you've never been to Alpha Centauri? Good grief
noisebridgekind if you can't take an interest in local affairs, that's your
own lookout. Energize the demolition beams!

* noisebridge seems relatively nice at the moment, incidentally. Hardly any
stabbings at all.

While I don't spend enough time in the space on a regular basis to have a

--
Sent from my phone