[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: Private Address Forwarding proposal to USPS

spinach williams spinach.williams at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 17:58:26 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Nicholas LoCicero
<nick.locicero at gmail.com>wrote:

> I like the idea, just think you could develop it a little more. Like add
> some backend features, an API to allow developers the ability to seamlessly
> integrate one's unique address as easily as an email address. This seems
> like a move Facebook could make. It allows for more user privacy (something
> their brand lacks) and allows them to bolster the profiles of it's users by
> making those profiles even more marketable for business.
> On Oct 17, 2013 9:15 AM, "Adrian Chadd" <adrian.chadd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ... I get a lot of "We don't deliver to PO boxes" when I ship packages.
>>
>> I'd be afraid that they'd do the same thing with this idea.
>>
>> I suggest investigating why a bunch of shipping companies don't ship to
>> PO boxes (where, you know, there typically are mail storage facilities
>> nearby that they could put a little "You have mail!" card into) before
>> embarking on this.
>>
>> (Besides, this could be something interesting to do as a private service;
>> except that I wonder what the legality is of being a
>> middleman-that-isnt-a-registered-post-company.
>>
>> 2c,
>>

>> -adrian

>> also! such an abstraction requires a lookup table of addresses which
currently does not exist -- mail is forwarded only for six months, and only
if one chooses to have mail forwarded directly through the post. after that
six months, your previous address is no longer a suitable identifier for
your present address, meaning you aren't tracked and the only information
on your whereabouts is specifically information you push. so, a naming
scheme as proposed would introduce a vulnerability which currently does not
exist and for minimal real benefit.