[Noisebridge-discuss] Anyone have a Darlington Transistor Array?

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Mon Oct 21 07:42:37 UTC 2013

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 11:48:38PM -0700, Tyler Freeman wrote:
> I'm trying to output hex digits to a 7-segment LED, but it turns out
> the BCD decoder driver I was using doesn't do letters A-F. There was
> a nice old chip called the DM9368 that could do hexadecimal letters,
> but it was discontinued for some reason.
>
> So now I'm going to just do it without a decoder, using a darlington
> transistor array like this one:
> http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/uln2803a.pdf
>
> The thing is, this is kind of an emergency last minute change so I
> don't have time to order one... does anyone have a ULN2803 or
> similar lying around that I could borrow and test with my circuit?
> Or know of another way to do letters on a 7-segment LED? Any help
> would be appreciated!

I've got a tube of ULN2003AN DIPs.  Looks like 3 ICs left in there.
Only catch is, 2003 has only 7 transistors rather than the 8 in the
2803.  You're welcome to them if 7 outputs is enough (or if you can use
two chips to do the job).  I live (and work) in soma and unfortunately
you'll have to come pick them up, I can't deliver tomorrow...

-andy