[Noisebridge-discuss] amendments to membership proposal - associate members and 24/7 hours

Jake jake at spaz.org
Tue Oct 22 04:17:20 UTC 2013

Currently, between 23:00 and 10:00 only Members and persons with an
application signed by two Members are allowed to be in the space without a
sponsor present.  Anyone else can be asked to leave.

After this proposal, at all times only a Regular Member, an Associate
Member, or a person with an application signed by two Members can be in
the space without a sponsor present.  Only Members and Associate Members
can sponsor people (or sign applications), and only while they are
present.

Anyone else coming to the space will be the guest of one of the above,
however informally.  When guests come in the door, they will be greeted by
a Member of some level, who will introduce themselves and invite the guest
to come to them or use their name if any issues arise.

If all the members are leaving, and the only people who would remain are
guests, the members should ask the guests to leave until more members show
up who will hopefully be open to sponsoring those people to be present.

Sponsoring guests is a simple matter of saying "i am willing to act as a
docent for that particular person, and I will help solve any problems that
arise around that person, including mediation or asking them to leave if
necessary".  It does not mean you have to know the person or even like
them, only that you are willing to be their connection to the space.

If members are leaving in the evening, as a group, which happens often,
they will ask around to see if other members are present, and make sure
that the remaining members are comfortable with whichever guests are
present.  If there are guests who are not wanted by the members who are
remaining, those members and the ones leaving will team up to politely ask
that those guests come back another time when the space is more open to
their presence (or to a meeting where they can meet more members)

What is happening now is that at 23:00 every night, most guests are asked
to leave without having ever been explained the process of sponsoring.
This is because they came in before 23:00 and the rules were suspended (a
practice I propose to end) and so they are suddenly faced with a situation
they were not informed about.  I hope that in the future, when the time
comes for members to leave, there will be a smooth handoff of the
excellent guest hackers to the members who are remaining (or just showing
up) so that the hacking can continue uninterrupted.

-jake