[Noisebridge-discuss] amendments to membership proposal - associate members and 24/7 hours

Kevin Schiesser bfb at riseup.net
Tue Oct 22 04:30:08 UTC 2013

Jake and Liz,

I am concerned the latest proposal will wrap the whole experience in
"kick people out" time, spiraling down a positive feedback loop until,
as Liz points out, the space is unoccupied for many hours at a time. I
have a similar goal of making every moment a time when people coming to
Noisebridge get a proper introduction, but a different way of going
about it. Along side general excellence and welcoming do-ocracy, I
support the proposal to eliminate money from membership.

Rather then create an air of power-over or grave responsibility, we
could offer full membership to people who want to commit time rather
than money. I really like the idea of de-coupling membership from dues,
while also requesting that some commitment be made upon becoming a
member (money or time). I can see members of the future sending a wiki
Users link to the treasurer every month with a sort-of public timesheet
or 'this is what my service to noisebridge has been' documentation.

A reasonable time commitment includes taking a weekly docent shift,
teaching a class, putting on events, etc... All of which attract more
excellent people to noisebridge.

kevin