[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: [CQ] Get FCC type approval for xmtr kits - Re: IF YOU'D LIKE HACKER RADIO TO EXIST, BE AT NB RADIO MTG TONIGHT 6-8PM. & RSVP. ONLY 3 WEEKS TILL FCC APPLICATION DEADLINE. TODOs.

giovanni_re john_re at fastmail.us
Mon Oct 7 05:08:51 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013, at 03:45 PM, Bruce Perens wrote:
> Can't say I'm really compelled. I think we would need to have at least
> an informal frequency survey before anything else. It's difficult to
> believe that there's actually an open slot in the Bay area. Out of town,
> yes. You'd have to plot the closest stations on every frequency, their
> power, antenna pattern, and HAAT. I suspect there are online tools to
> help.

Norman Bradley is leading that effort.  ;)  :)
https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Radio

> FCC, by the way, only allows type-approved transmitters. You don't get
> to put your Ramsey kit on the air with a real license.

What would be both interesting & excellent is to see if we could get one
of, say, these
 http://www.freeradio.org/index.php?pagename=store/frb_kits.html
 http://www.freeradio.org/index.php?pagename=store/frb_kits.html#transmitter

 " 1 to 1.5 Watt No Tune PLL Transmitter/Exciter - $110 Our standard PLL
 kit design. Using wideband monolithic components from Minicircuits,
 this PLL covers the entire broadcast band by setting the 8 position dip
 switch. This kit comes partially assembled with the surface mount
 components soldered on. It is available fully assembled for $195.
 Please note: this is a mono transmitter and requires an external stereo
 generator for stereo broadcast applications. Audio input is high
 impedance, line level. The RF output transistor is a heavy duty TO220
 type, not the lighter duty TO18 type found in most comparable kits."

Or. " These packages include everything needed to build a transmitter in
the wattages indicated. All include PLL kit, Amplifier kit, voltage
regulator, enclosure, and assembled power supply. Additionally, you will
find a selection of cables and antenna below to complete your
transmission station. Image displays a fully assembled 150 watt
transmitter.

 70 Watt Transmitter $520.00
 150 Watt Transmitter $600.00"

type approved!

Economical, & could then be used by all the hackerspace FCC licensed
stations.
https://noisebridge.net/wiki/US_Hackerspace_Radio

 http://radiosurvivor.com/2011/05/10/build-your-own-fm-transmitter-at-free-radio-berkeleys-summer-radio-camp/

:)

& once you've helped us get that completed,
you could give a speech, about how this could be done all around the
world,
@ the UN.

What part would you like to do, K6BP, to help Noisebridge get type
approval for a low cost FM broadcast transmitter kit?

---  Join the BerkeleyTIP-Global mail list -
http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal. All Freedom SW, HW &
Culture.