[Noisebridge-discuss] proposal for noisebridge membership changes

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Wed Oct 2 12:45:04 UTC 2013

Cognitive dissonance much? Just a day earlier you said this:

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 02:10:29AM -0700, Jake wrote:
> 1:  I don't think we should do it this way part of the time, i think we shoud
> be this way 24/7 all the fucking time.  anyone who comes in the door gets
> introduced to a person who will sponsor them at that time, or alternately
> give them a quick tour and then an invitation to come back another time, or
> perhaps there are no members in the space who want to sponsor a guest at that
> time and the person doesn't get to come in.  I think this last option will
> happen very infrequently but if it does, I don't think we're losing anything.
> If a person was going to come to noisebridge but there was nobody there who
> wanted to give them a tour/introduction, they are better off coming back
> another time.

I don't think that scenario would be infrequent, but that scenario isn't
actually my main objection. It has always been the case that people without a
key or code occassionally cannot get in to NB, because nobody is there or
nobody feels like answering the doorbell, and I think that is fine. My
objection is to the drastic shift in experience of being told that guests must
have an individual member claim responsiblity for them while they're there, vs
being told that they're welcome to use any tools there that they feel
comfortable using and that they're responsible for themselves.

~leif