[Noisebridge-discuss] The image we have to other hackerspaces and society as a whole

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Sat Oct 5 06:24:42 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 06:45:23PM -0700, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> Ronald Cotoni writes:
> > With articles like this we have a massively negative image, as we should
> > for not adequately dealing with these issues.
>
> As I said a while ago, at 83C there was a very strong understanding that
> Noisebridge should not create rules _preemptively_.  But at 2169 there
> seems to be an understanding that Noisebridge should never create rules
> _at all_.

That's a good observation!

I think the original idea was, "Don't solve problems before they
happen", and "When solving a problem, solve the problem that actually
happened, don't try to solve every possible problem".

> I think the new understanding is severely broken.

Agreed!

Generally we had found that making rules wasn't an especially good way
to solve problems, but that seems to have changed over time into an
ironclad rule that we never make rules.

-andy