[Noisebridge-discuss] creating a safer environment at noisebridge

Dan Cote terminationshok at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 14:34:33 UTC 2013

If you want to work toward a safer Noisebridge, you need to work with the
membership. Dividing people into two sides, and putting everyone who
doesn't agree with you on the side of molesters and creeps is not fair.
There is no proof that the thing you are proposing will work. The proposal
does create barriers, paperwork, and hierarchy. I wanted to make sure that
any new restrictions on entry or guidance on behavior is done on a trial
basis. This way we can measure the effect, and evaluate it on it's actual
real-world results, rather than arguing from dogma and ideology.

I think it would also be appropriate to encourage our community to receive
training on how to create safe spaces. Since it's the entire community who
runs Noisebridge, we all need to know how to do this. We need our community
to be united and educated to meet this challenge.

This is what's currently on the table:
     "For a trial period of 3 months, Noisebridge shall be open, from 23:00
to 10:00, only to Members, guests of those Members present in the space,
and those people with two Member endorsements in the membership binder."

I don't see a problem with this. If it doesn't have an effect, or creates
problems, it gets withdrawn. Thanks for pushing for the gate codes and
getting that working for us. The opinion of people at the last meeting was
very positive, and I believe the gate code stuff will become permanent at
the next meeting. Please be patient, and keep working towards a better
space with the community.