[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: Private Address Forwarding proposal to USPS

spinach williams spinach.williams at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 06:20:32 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: spinach williams <spinach.williams at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] Private Address Forwarding proposal to
USPS
To: Sai <noisebridge at saizai.com>

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Sai <noisebridge at saizai.com> wrote:

> http://s.ai/paf
>
> I've proposed the USPS adopt Private Address Forwarding, and the USPS'
> comments are in.
>
> tl;dr proposal: Google Voice for postal mail. The USPS assigns you a
> unique ID, you tell them where to forward that ID, and they can't
> disclose who it belongs to or where it goes without court process or
> your permission. You could get mail that's just addressed to "PAF
> 13JS-00EG-C, United States", and it'd automagically get routed to you.
> You can also choose to give UPS, FedEx, etc permission to access the
> forwarding info if you want.
>
> tl;dr benefits: Getting mail while preserving your privacy; never
> having to update your address w/ everyone when you move (just w/ the
> USPS); cheaper & easier than PO boxes.
>
> Take a look & tell them (and me) what you think. :-)
>
> Enjoy,
> - Sai

what about receiving things in different places, for Reasons? and how's
anyone supposed to remember a goggle voice number to write down when they
want to send a letter or postcard? and what's going to stop access to the
server? i mean, that thing's totally been hacked before and now those
bodies one might fear snooping around is actually baking their own backdoor
into internet protocol itself. what's even the downside to name+address for
physical mail this solution seeks to address? does this benefit extend to
those who don't have regular internet access?