[Noisebridge-discuss] Private Address Forwarding proposal to USPS

Lee Sonko lee at lee.org
Thu Oct 17 19:05:34 UTC 2013

Sai, I'm intrigued! Here's some questions.

With current addresses, there is some built-in redundancy. Slightly
misaddressed letters usually reach their destination now. What schemes can
build in redundancy to this plan?
Maybe forward error correction? A parity bit?

With this scheme, 1 incorrect character could send the letter to the other
side of the world. If the letter is accidentally sent to, for instance,
Guam, the post office will incur extra unneeded expense. How can such
problems be avoided?
Maybe limiting the geographic delivery area. Internal checking of names
against addresses

Junk mailers will want to be able to send mail to every home in a defined
area. They do this now. It is a great source of revenue for the post office
and some people actually like it. The proposal should include a way for
people in a local area to still receive such mail. This seems easy to
implement from a technical standpoint: the mailing lists would be handled
confidentially by USPS.

I looked on your website. Your info is very complete and intensive. I got
lost after 10 minutes of looking at it. Can you tell us laypersons about
sending positive or negative feedback to USPS about your proposal?