[Noisebridge-discuss] NB Board members on nb wiki - where?

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Mon Oct 21 04:53:27 UTC 2013

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 08:54:46PM -0700, giovanni_re wrote:
> There should be a link to that info fairly prominently,
> yet I didn't notice it in 5+ minutes searching.

Why?  If you're using the board, you're doing something wrong.

The sole purpose of the board is to be the interface between
Noisebridge's membership and the legal system.

For example you might need a board member to do a bare minimum of work
for the radio project, after the volunteers for the project have done
the technical work and the membership has made any decisions necessary
(not that I think there's any decisions necessary), you might need a
"CEO" or "board director" signature on some FCC paperwork.  But if you
think the board should do anything other than signing the paper that a
volunteer has prepared, you're in for an unfortunate awakening.

For example the board doesn't make decisions about what projects
Noisebridge is involved in.  The board doesn't tell officers to do
specific projects.  The board doesn't tell the membership what projects
to work on.  All of that is done by people who step up to do the work.
The board is just a rubber stamp for situations in which an Official is
required due to outside requirements.

(The board does, IMO, have a responsibility to tell people *not* to do
things that are overly dangerous or hazardous, such as arc welding in
our wood-structure building.  But that's a side point, and we've mostly
managed to convince people not to burn the building down without the
board getting involved.)

-andy