[Noisebridge-discuss] Fw: Looking For 500 ml Kombucha Starter

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 22 01:59:47 UTC 2013

Anyone around with nice growing mother (or at least one hibernating in the fridge?)?

I'm sure that you can get one from Three Stone Hearth kitchen if you are willing to make a trip to Berkeley, I can ask their brewer etc. (or you can just call :-))

http://www.threestonehearth.com/

Otherwise you can also buy a non pasteurized kombucha drink from any local shop, however if I can recommend I would rather get home brewed starter with piece of SCOBY in it - I'm not sure what process the industrial producers are using, the "health" or rather level of biodiversity of their SCOBY's may be lower.

I think that you should have a SCOBY in your hands within next few days, it should be easy.

Best of luck with your experiments, if you have any questions in the process just ask :-)

Sincerely,

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

PS Not sure about the size of your first batch which you aim for but 100 ml of liquid/SCOBY should be more than enough for up to 2-3 l, you could go even bigger but if you dilute your culture too much you may have problem to get it established (1% (w/v) should be doable, for the first batch I would go 5-10% (w/v), so 100 ml would be fine for 1-2 l easy, 500 ml fine for 5-10 l lets say).

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker

http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org