[Noisebridge-discuss] internet is really slow in the space

John Adams jna at retina.net
Mon Sep 23 20:59:41 UTC 2013

It's downright impossible to implement traffic shaping when the traffic is
asymmetrically loaded and you do not control the other end of the link. You
can reserve uplink bandwidth but look at how the problem plays out with
HTTP requests.

You make a tiny, 30 byte request that results in a flood of return traffic.
If you attempt to shape traffic in the customer-side router, you can't
shape it because you've already saturated the inbound pipe.

We experience this problem all the time at DNA lounge. Some joker saturates
the inbound pipe and our best defense becomes 'ban his mac address from
dhcp'. I've seen many recipes for PF that claim to do this but it's
generally hopeless.

-j

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Nicholas LoCicero <nick.locicero at gmail.com