[Noisebridge-discuss] Recommended Distros for the PXE Server?

Ronald Cotoni setient at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 23:32:56 UTC 2013

I would still say to use a normal linux distro since it can do it.  We also
have a fancy machine called Pony with tons of disk space for networked
images.  It would be trivial to configure ubuntu as a pxe server, since it
is ubuntu.  See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PXEInstallServer  It will
allow you to install ubuntu from it.  Once you understand how it works, you
can trivially add other distributions or Operating Systems like FreeBSD,
NetBSD or even OpenBSD.

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 12:53 AM, Luis Felipe RM <unixjazz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/19/2013 12:39 PM, Ronald Cotoni wrote:
> > Just setup pony as a pxe server.
> >
> > On Sep 19, 2013 12:02 PM, "Nicholas LoCicero" <nick.locicero at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> have you tried this?
> >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PXEInstallMultiDistro
>
> Linux Server Terminal Project (LTSP):
>
> http://www.ltsp.org/download/
> http://moo.nac.uci.edu/~hjm/LTSP_HOWTO.html
>
> It is a good project to get started, IMHO. I am just not sure about the
> status of the project. It has been around for ages! I tried it some 6
> years ago when it lacked audio support on terminal clients, making users
> very sad :-)

Ronald Cotoni
Systems Engineer