[Noisebridge-discuss] Looking For 500 ml Kombucha Starter

Justin Morrison me at justinmorrison.net
Mon Sep 23 23:16:10 UTC 2013

On several occasions I've started a new batch with very little to no
starter liquid, a booster of vinegar, and a small donated SCOBY. SCOBY are
often listed on Craigslist, free to pick up.

I find that litmus test strips from the local brewery supply, pH 3.2 - 4.0
range, are best for assuring the correct acidity of your starter
concoction, as well for checking when the brew is ready for drinking,
bottling, or secondary fermentation. You can add unpasteurized apple cider
vinegar, or even white vinegar (in a pinch) to bring the pH down to around
3.6, for starters, to ensure the nasties don't start growing. I used to
start with a higher pH but particularly prevalent mold lately has be
starting with a more acidic environment. Lastly, the thing really does like
plain white cane sugar best, and a dark, organic black tea.

--
Justin Morrison
http://justinmorrison.net