[Noisebridge-discuss] switch from doku to media wiki - yes or not, why?

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 18 09:06:19 UTC 2013

Hi to all,
I'm considering switching two doku wiki pages/portals for media wiki. I
know some advantages of media wiki already I wonder now what are the
disadvantages. One of these pages is my personal web page, so low
traffic (less than 1000 access per month lets say)

http://frantisekapfelbeck.org/doku.php

second one is the
Food Hacking Base (fhb) wiki

https://foodhackingbase.org/

where it can get with upcoming 30c3 several thousands hits per month, so still nothing special (however with
another crowd sourcing campaign you never know, in Google if you type
“food hacking”, we are (food hacking base (fhb)) twice in first ten
results of the search - on different portals than our homepage however.

I have been warned that media wiki is harder to back up and I’m not sure
about the install and updates (I’m weak on that but I can learn if I
have to - have to sooner or later). After nearly a year with doku wiki
I’m still not happy with the “looks” of what I’m doing there. To  my
experience it is so much more easy and quick to get a decent page in
media wiki than in doku, that is the major reason for me to switch.

Anyway I’m now reading more online about the media and doku wiki also checking where do we host our doku wiki and what are our rules/rights on the
servers there.

Many thanks for any info, I think that within next 10-14 days I should know
what the fhb group thinks and I would proceed further depending on that,

Sincerely,

FAA

PS Even if I learn how to install and admin the media wiki properly, I
will be not around quite often to do that, even after settling down I
travel quite a bit and when I’m on some international hacker event I can not really take care about some issues or updates etc. so I will need
some reliable person to take the burden of admin work anyway and I do wonder how much more difficult it is under media wiki compared to doku wiki.

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker

http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org