[Noisebridge-discuss] When Would Be a Good Date and Time for a "Thinking Physics" Meeting?

Elan Lavie elanlavie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 04:25:09 UTC 2013

Hi Noisebridge Community!

My name is Elan, and I am interested in hosting a "Meetup" group called
"Curious About Physics: Thought-Experimenting for Everyone!" (you can view
the page here<http://www.meetup.com/Conceptual-Physics-Thought-Experimenting-for-Everyone/>)
at Noisebridge. If it's okay with the community, I would love to know a
good time and place for our first meeting. I currently have a meeting room
in Glen Park library staked out for next Wednesday, but would prefer to do
it at Noisebridge (not necessarily on Wednesday) because I think it's a
more appropriate venue.

Here is the description I wrote for the group:
This is a meet-up inspired by Lewis Carroll Epstein's "Thinking Physics"
book, which poses fun questions about the physical world that require some
real thought to solve. We'll look at these questions and others, form our
own ideas, discuss amongst each other, and then reveal the (often
surprising!) answers--in the process learning a great deal about physics
and having a blast. We also will explore any assortment of physics-related
phenomena and thought experiments, such as why tides exist, what causes a
satellite to remain in orbit, Schrodingers Cat, the twin paradox, and
anything else we're into. Come with your own thought-experiments to discuss
or tag along for the ride!

Thanks so much!
Elan

P.S. Last night was my first time at Noisebridge and I loved it!!