[Noisebridge-discuss] Fake Cash in SF : $20/$50/$100 bills

Martin Bogomolni martinbogo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 18:04:42 UTC 2013

There is a rash of fairly high quality counterfeiting going on in San
Francisco lately.   They are targeting $20, $50, and $100 bills, and the
bills are fairly reasonable reproductions.

The bills pass a quick visual inspection (stripe, holographic-ish marking,
watermark) but fail deep inspection ( florescence, position/marking on
stripes, ink-testing pens ).

I recommend that NB purchase at least a simple paper/ink testing pen to
keep around for events and when selling things for cash.

I got a couple fake $20's in change recently at a local store, and spotted
them before the transaction was finished.   The clerk had the decency to
swap them out for new $20's, and I waited for her to hand the fake $20's to
the manager before leaving the store.   (Urban Outfitters, downtown near
Union Square).

-M