[Noisebridge-discuss] noisebridge is for hacking

Cameron Hackett camhkt at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 23:39:01 UTC 2013

You must be new here. :p

So... Noisebridge has had a bit of a hard time in deciding what "hacking"
is.
In the beginning, Noisebridge was formed by hackers interested in
computers, electronics, and security. Over time, there have been some
really awesome merging of electronics or computers with other pursuits. For
example, embedding Arduinos in clothing, and adding lights or wireless
communication.
That's generally awesome and non-offensive to most, so we incorporated some
tools and space to do that (like the sewing area, or sewing machine at 83c).

However, over time, more and more new pursuits and equipment started
showing up, and gradually more and more behaviours and equpent/facilities
have become available.
With the the social norm and mission around being radically inclusive,
coupled with resources like bathrooms, a kitchen, and places to lie down,
all smack dab in the middle of a city embroiled in an affordable housing
crisis, the homeless, semi-homeless, and desperate people are taking
advantage of Noisebridge's offerings.
Point out that bad behaviour and let's work to stop it.