[Noisebridge-discuss] An outsider's PoV on the Drama of rules for using a Hackerspace. With humor and logic.

Garrett Smith dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 01:04:38 UTC 2013

On 9/3/13, Oren Beck <orenbeck at gmail.com> wrote:
> All the rules in heaven&hell alike do nothing lacking teeth. Sad but true.

[...]

> The flat reality check is that folks who are not and likely never will be
> safe to have around are gaming Noisebridge's kinder participants.  And from
> that It's a tribute to how EXCELLENT of character the
> Noisebridge community is.  Tolerance only goes so far before it becomes an
> exploit vector! Bluntly put to avoid misreading:

It is important to differentiate heated debate vs. intimidation and
threats vs. bs drama

* Threat: "If it comes down to you and me, you're gonna lose"
* Heated debate: "You've not been paying attention, and clearly have a
reading problem, as the statements you're making have been shown false
repeatedly."
* Bullshit: "he is scaring me."

> There's a sea of malfunctioning folks who see the gentle folk as fair game.
>
> Which places the next move into the ethics of Self Defense.  As in what
> rules apply? Can any person in the space- use discreet signalling of
> Consensus decided modes- to flag someone for what we should label "Conduct
> Unbecoming Hackerdom" ?

Noisebridge is about as suitable for duking it out as it is for
entertaining the police.

When it comes to threats and intimidation and the person making them
won't leave, then that is the time to get the doors open and get the
person out, while trying to minimize harm. For that, two people or
more should take the person out. Street fights can be extremely
dangerous as there are no rules and no referee.

Police are dangerous. They will attack, taze, shoot, beat the wrong
people. It has happened many times (STFW) and to me personally more
than a few times. The police will always escalate the situation until
someone is either subdued or dead and I have personally been beaten
very badly by them.

[snip stuff about common sense, sleeping, etc]
--
Garrett
Twitter: @xkit