[Noisebridge-discuss] Made at Noisebridge - Concrete Stove

jarrod hicks hicksu at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 15:20:02 UTC 2013

I started by watching several youtube videos explaining the process of
creating concrete counter tops in various ways.

I ended up choosing quikrete 5000 for concrete. This comes in 60 or 80
pound bags with cement, sand, and a small rock aggregate already mixed
together. Only water has to be added. We used a pretty dry mix that was
hard to work with, but should turn out strong. The concrete layer is at
least 2" thick, some of the videos I saw said one could get away with 1.5"
thick.

We used a welded wire concrete reinforcing mesh inside the counter-top
about 1/2" from the bottom of concrete. Most instructions recommended using
reinforcement to control cracking. Although I couldn't find it nearby,
another recommended reinforcement material was masonry block ladder wire.

The forms were attached to the table, protected with polyurethane, and we
poured directly onto it. The other popular way of making these counter tops
is to pour into a form that is separate from the counter so that the nice
flat bottom of the form becomes the nice flat top of the counter.

After removing the forms, I patched any large voids with pour stone. If we
used a slightly wetter concrete mix and more vibration we probably could
have greatly reduced these.

The top was finished using hand trowels during the pour and a masonry
grinding wheel with our grinder/polisher after 7 days of curing. Then
covered with a generous coat of penetrating concrete sealer.

Cheers