[Noisebridge-discuss] Made at Noisebridge - Concrete Stove

girlgeek girlgeek at wt.net
Wed Sep 4 16:53:45 UTC 2013

Hi Frantisek,
One good way to make the top is to build a mold of formica with the
smooth side facing in so that you will have a nice smooth surface to
pour  the top into.  You are working upside down here. If you want any
includes at the surface then they go in first. It's an upside down
cake.  A nice smooth mold surface will save you a LOT of sanding & coughing.

The tensil strength of concrete is not particularly good.  You will need
some metal or wood below the surface level.  I don't know what they are
called, but there are meshes of rebar type metal that you can use for
the strength layer.

At the end it is a matter of attaching the table top to the legs. You
probably want to imbed some attaching mechanism into the top and/ or
legs while you are pouring. I recommend thinking this step through
completely before you start.

You may wish to use the same sort of formica boxes for the leg mold.

Don't forget a release material.  I don't know what kind of release
agent is needed for cement.

hth,  all the best to you there in Korea,
Claudia