[Noisebridge-discuss] Come to NB TONIGHT 5-6-7-8 PM for NB Radio meeting. :)

Josh Wilson joshua at artsandmedia.net
Wed Sep 11 00:57:41 UTC 2013

Hello folks, I was at the meeting last week and had the chance to talk about a project to help organize local nonprofits that want to apply for an lpfm station.

There is information about this available from Common Frequency (they're out of Davis): http://lpfmnow.org/

The "bigger picture" around this, in terms of community media resources, is that competition for Bay Area frequencies is anticipated not only from local nonprofits, but also from national religious broadcasters that work through local partners.

One of the CF founders, Todd Urick, a radio engineer, is looking to do the engineering and application processing pro bono (it's usually $2k) for Bay Area nonprofits, so as to build up community representation on the docket.

As I understand it, the process is as follows: After the filing window closes, applications end up getting dropped or consolidated (which the radio nerds call "MXing," because it bundles together "mutually exclusive" or competing applications).

Depending on a variety of circumstances, the resulting radio station can end up an awkward timeshare forced by the FCC's hand. However, it's possible to bring some intentionality to that MXing process, which in the Bay Area's case would be really awesome.

Last Tuesday, JC said suggested to me that NoiseBridge could host a meeting about building a station. It might be really cool to do that, especially after the filing window closes, so the MX'd nonprofit applicants can talk about how sharing a community resource might work. The tripartite pillars might be really invaluable in such a conversation.

I can't make the meeting tonight due to family duties, but plan to show up next week, and hopefully will have Jeff Shaw from Common Frequency in tow. Todd's in LA, or he'd be there too.

Thanks for your consideration! Hope to see you next week and I welcome any feedback, meantime.

Josh