[Noisebridge-discuss] charging a cap with a xtal?

macegr garrettmace at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 17:38:37 UTC 2013

Must you actually charge it with the oscillator, or are you simply attempting to generate a time-dependent voltage on the capacitor? If you're using a TTL oscillator module, it might be outputting a 5V square wave. This would allow you to charge a peak-detector circuit (diode inline to capacitor connected to ground, optional drain resistor) to within maybe 0.6V below VCC. This will be harder if you're trying to connect directly to an oscillator circuit without an output buffer.