[Noisebridge-discuss] charging a cap with a xtal?

macegr garrettmace at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 22:33:44 UTC 2013

That circuit will work, though if you want the voltage to fall when the oscillator is turned off, then you'd need a drain resistor too.

Please keep in mind that if this is a simple square wave oscillator that doesn't do anything else interesting, it'll charge the capacitor half as fast as a direct connection to VCC (minus diode drop for whatever diode you select). By changing the RC values you could accomplish the exact same thing with a piece of wire.