[Noisebridge-discuss] GPG Workshop?

John Shutt john.d.shutt at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 01:45:34 UTC 2013

On 09/14/2013 06:24 PM, James Addison wrote:
> Hey Noisebridge,
>
> I've been thinking of using GPG for a long time, but have only finally
> gotten around to sending my first few messages to friends using it,
> and even as a fairly seasoned geek it still feels like a pain to
> manage - which is bad, we should make this stuff easy (easier?).
>
> Are there any folks out there with a bit more experience who'd be
> willing to get together and work through some of this stuff with a
> group?  Even if using throwaway mail addresses/identities, I think
> running through the process of creating a new identity, generating
> subkeys, sending/receiving, managing revocation of keys, etc might
> make a lot more sense if done in person.
>
> I am totally willing to help in terms of preparing any instructional
> material, finding folks interested, helping people debug problems on
> the day, etc - but I don't feel like I know enough about gpg yet to
> really 'run' a class/workshop yet.
>
> As a sidenote, any tips for utilities etc to make things easier would
> also be nice!  gpa sounds like one possibility, for example.  Ideally
> I like the idea of using easily-revocable subkeys with gpg as an app
> on my phone but not sure how easy/feasible this is.
>
> Partly inspired by
> reading: https://alexcabal.com/creating-the-perfect-gpg-keypair/
>
> Cheers,
> James

Hey James,

I heard that there's going to be another cryptoparty tomorrow at Sudo
Room in Oakland from 2pm to 5pm. I went to the cryptoparty last month
and there was a great workshop on setting up PGP/GPG for e-mail. I think
going to those workshops would be a good starting point to setting up
cryptoparties at Noisebridge.

John