[Noisebridge-discuss] Weird, trippy pattern I found in the periodic table

Andrew Byrne andrew at pachakutech.com
Sun Sep 29 08:07:34 UTC 2013

CHCl(3) would be polar, and lightly acidic (the chlorines can support the
electron the proton would leave behind)

But it all depends on the environment. Example:
COCl(2) is phosgene; the ketone supports several stable configurations for
the chloride to leave a frank positive charge behind; that's not likely to
occur, unless you add water. Then the chloride undergoes a very favorable
reaction with H(2)O, creating oxygen and hydrochloric acid; the result is
COOHCl + H+Cl-, which is an even more willing chloride donator. Drop the
tetromeric one period down to SiOCl(2) to work safely with that
chemistry--then it's a liquid that won't get to interact with the water in
your lungs.

You can kill everyone in the room very easily with orgo lab work...
Fortunately for us, the film lab chemicals have gone bad; you can wash your
hands with the sulfuric acid.
-AnB

Funny how different people see these things...

CNH(x)  amines / amides groups make me sneeze (histamines)
CO - ketones / ethers dissolve stuff.
CF(x) - flourocarbons are great refrigerants that can eat through the ozone
layer.
CCl(x) groups preserve dead things (formaldehyde) or dissolve stuff way
better than CO groups.

CS (mercaptans) make entire cities smell like farts when you make them. :-).

Organic chemistry is a neato thingy!

Sean