[Noisebridge-discuss] Hello. I think we a need a new Mission Statement.

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 21:28:57 UTC 2014

Well, again, you don't need to see it as "either or" (like, we can't
do anything until we do THIS), nor do you need to see it as a singular
Mission Statement (that's an implementation detail).

There's nothing "wrong" with the current Mission Statement, except
that it doesn't help in any way, shape, or form in our discussions.
That means we're not using this valuable tool effectively.

I'm willing to bet that no discussions at Noisebridge involve
reference to the Mission Statement ("wait, let's think, does this
improve Noisebridge in a way consistent with the Mission Statement, or
should we find another way?").

You may say, so what?  We'll just get arguments over the Mission
Statement, right?

Well, maybe.  But what Johny's arguing for is a community-based effort
to hash out what Noisebridge means to itself and to the world, which
implies a journey of building understanding and trust in each other.

The journey is just as important as the destination.  This is a chance
for the people who want to continue investing time and effort in
Noisebridge to find renewed purpose in its existence, and build
bridges between previously disconnected individuals and groups.

I mean, are we a Hackerspace Vending Machine, or are we something
greater than that?  I'd argue "greater", but sometimes it's hard for
me to see that anyone is interested in more than becoming another Tech
Shop.

Hoping for a thoughtful discussion here...

--Naomi

--
Naomi Theora Most
naomi at nthmost.com